January 6, 2012

Simple Homemade Lip Exfoliator

My lips have been kind of chapped lately, even though I use Burt’s Bees daily. It was especially noticeable while wearing lipstick. Chapped, flakey lips? EW. Anyway, I tried this:
  • Mix 1 teaspoon of olive oil w/ about 2 teaspoons of sugar
  • Apply to lips & rub in a circular motion for about 30 seconds
  • Wipe off with a warm cloth, apply a lip moisturizer, and voilà- soft lips!
Exfoliating your lips removes dead, chapped skin, and leaves your lips soft. It can even help your lipstick last longer. My lips were instantly smoother and I am now a happy girl. You should repeat the process weekly or as needed to keep your lips looking and feeling amazing.



A note about lip moisturizers
Petroleum, camphor, alcohol, and menthol all contribute to dry lips. And, surprise- they happen to be the ingredients that are in most lip moisturizers. The thing is- they SEEM awesome because they provide immediate relief, but over time- dry out and damage your lips. I have been using Chapstick for a LONG time, and have realized this. I am constantly putting on Chapstick all day long. So make sure you take a look at the ingredients while purchasing lip products. Using a couple drops of vitamin E, shea butter, almond oil, olive oil or sesame seed oil are good ways to keep your lips moisturized. Oh, and drinking lots of water will keep you hydrated which will keep your lips looking great! =)
This is an extremely basic home remedy for dry lips. Bella Luna will have a variety of lip balms and lip scrubs available for purchase, so stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. seriously, sign me up! As a licensed esthetician I am so in on this stuff and am always looking for GOOD products at a fair deal, that's why I don't buy mary kay and stuff.
    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should add a "follow" button on here so I can follow your blog! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenn! That's exactly how I feel! And what's better than natural ingredients?! I'm aiming to have some products with photos up in a week or so, and have the shop up and running within a month. I'm pretty excited!

    There isn't a 'follow' button on the top left of the page on the grey bar? I can see it. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. all I see is the facebook thing to "like" you, which i already did! Ya, if you add a "gadget" in your design page you can add a follow button I am pretty sure. Ask cody, he might know more than me lol. Def let me know when your site is up and running though, I am sure you will have great photographs! ; )

    ReplyDelete